Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wednesday afternoon, July 31, 2013 at 15:00


Today is the last day of the month and I suppose that means that summer is about half over. I suppose saying that this was one of the most unusual months in my life would be a bit of an understatement. This could very well have been the month that my life ended. It did not though and solely by God's grace and timing of events.

For later
At this particular moment in time I am sitting outside on the deck under the gazebo. This is what I had wanted to do that Sunday evening on July 07, but that did not happen. Life suddenly changed. The only difference right now is that I don't have that cold beer that I wanted, and I am probably more grateful to God now that I would have been had I been here on the 7th's evening. Catastrophic events do place life into perspective rather quickly.

Not much sawdust made here these days
My recovery seems to be going well but this week I have at times found the time of idleness to be long. Rest is an important part of my recovery but I am feeling some impatience in wanting to do other things. I know I cannot rush. Earlier I wanted to go in the shed to do some wood turning but Kie was insistent that I wait until after she comes home. I may not want to do that later - wood turning that is. 

I did not go for a walk last evening and I did not go anywhere today. Too much time has been spent in front of the computer. Yes, I know that working on our investments is important, but that is not all there is too life. 

What's next ??
Quite a few hours have been spent on reading stuff and just as many hours have been spent on writing. Since I came home from the hospital, I was able to complete a new chapter in my fiction story. A six month break was in between chapters because I was not able to come up with ideas to write. Anyway, some progress has been made. I did also manage to write a few paragraphs about my heart attack and the surrounding events. That and a few photos were finally published on one of my blogs. I could do more writing if I would just sit down and focus on incomplete stuff. It all requires time but it has to be done at the right time.

What I don't know but wish I could know is how much time God has given to me. I have asked to live to see 50 years of marriage to Kie and to reach 80 years - I have written about this already - but I do not know what God's answer is. What I do know is that I am here now today, and I am truly grateful to be here. I am happy and content with my life because I see God's kindness and favour toward me. I do have some things I need to attend to and I am thankful for this chance to get them done.

Beckonings from Maine!
September is not far away and I am still wondering what to do about the vacation we have planned for the third week. As usual, Kie and I have are planning to go to Maine and New Hampshire, but right now I don't know if that will be possible. I am convinced that I should be well enough to go - and able to drive that trip, but in the back of my mind I question the wisdom of making that journey. 

I do know this: life is unpredictable and nothing I do or don't do is going to forestall any events. When those days come, I should just rejoice, praise God and enjoy each day. Nothing is certain in this life except that death will come. God's power and life are also certain, because he has given me life both physically and spiritually. I don't know what is after life, and beyond the darkness of death, but God has promised us life. I cannot claim to have seen or heard anything unusual on that July 7th, but I do know that God restored my life.

Rain has come and it is time to go inside and check on the closing of the markets.


The Oddblock Station Agent

No comments:

Post a Comment