Monday, April 7, 2014

What About Next Year?


30 came fast and twice 30 even faster
On December 26, 1993, we visited Susanna's home for dinner. During the conversations aftward, Susanna asked each of us about our thoughts and hopes for 1994. 

All I could say at the moment was that I would like to make it through to 1995. Since last night though, I have had a few more moments to reflect and really think about 1994.

Today will not be another wistful look back at the past. Instead I shall gaze ahead to what may possibly be in store. 

Perhaps 1994 is my time to forget about big long-range plans and major projects. I am beginning to believe that big plans, large projects, good great intentions, high hopes lofty thoughts and dreams of desire all belong to youth. Nothing is wrong with any or all of these but I now believe that I am beyond this stage of my life. 

These days it seems to me that youth belongs to anyone under the age of 30.

What follows are my thoughts and aspirations for the onset of middle age.

I would like nothing more than to be able to complete the small and very small matters which still remain incomplete, and if any other different types of opportunities come this way, then I would like to be able to pursue them further.

 

"Come now you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and get gain"; whereas you do not know about tomorrow. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."
(James 4:13-14)



 
December 27, 1993
The Oddblock Station Agent

No comments:

Post a Comment