Sunday, September 8, 2013

Generations

"O Lord, what is man that you do regard him, or the son of man that you do think of him? Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow." (Psalm 144:3-4)

Life in 1958 seemed timeless but my years have been passing away so quickly that I am barely able to even remember parts of them. I cannot recall the taking of this particular photo of Ted and me, but I am able to recall a few memories of other things we were doing during that particular visit with my grandparents in Milan. 


Don and Ted in Milan, Quebec, in September 1958


Life in Pierrefonds during 1961 was good. Most of the surrounding area remained undeveloped and Ted and I spent countless hours exploring the neighbouring fields and forests. Summer vacation seemed to last forever.

Ted and Don in Pierrefonds, Quebec, in 1961


For as long as I can remember, our family always gathered at Uncle Rod's and Aunt Jean's home on January 01 for New Year's Day celebrations. Over the years changes slowly occurred. Older relatives and friends passed away but new members of the family came into the world and took their places.


Side date reads Feb 1959 but actual date taken was probably on January 01, 1959. New Year dinner with Uncle Rod and Aunt Jean. Left to right: Roderick A. Sr., Roderick A. Jr., Jean and Murdo.


I don't remember too much about Uncle Murdo and Aunt Winnie. They married later in life and had no children. Murdo was one of my grandfather's brothers and he died suddenly in 1961 or 62. Aunt Winnie moved away soon after and I never saw her again. 

"There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to happen." (Ecclesiastes 1:11)

The Bible verse mentions things but the same is true about the people who do the things. After I am gone, no one shall be left to remember Uncle Murdo and Aunt Winnie. 

In time, the same shall be true about me.


Aunt Winnie and Uncle Murdo. Date unknown


The Bible tells us about the birth of Jesus, but one verse in those accounts speak to us about a mother and her new born son. 

"But Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart." (Luke 2:19)



1924 - Katherine Morrison (my grandmother) holding recently born first son, Stanley Morrison. (my father)


88 years later and 4 generations apart not much changes in what we do or in how we think.


2012 - Kimberly Robinson (great granddaughter) holding newborn son Jonah Robinson (great-great grandson)


"In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider; God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him." (Ecclesiastes 7:14)


The Oddblock Station Agent

One more


Old and Older on Christmas Day 2005.

Today? By the grace of God we're both still around.

The Oddblock Station Agent


Addendum December 09, 2013

Dad passed away around 16:00 on Saturday, December 07, 2013. He was 89 years old.



Addendum December 27, 2013


Again, the Bible reminds us, 

"A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains for ever." 
(Ecclesiastes 1:4)


Christmas 2013


Addendum April 09, 2014

Why add more stuff to this post?

Maybe for no other reason than I don't know what to do with some of this stuff that has accumulated over the years. 

Partly true, but also to serve as a history of the generations in our family.

"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun."
(Ecclesiastes 1:9)


This photo of Kiera was taken in late spring 2010 shortly after she started walking. That day was also her first visit to the park for an up-close look at the river. That was Grandpa holding her hand.


Nothing like a sleigh ride in winter! This scene was recorded during winter 1954-55 in Milan, Quebec. That was me in the box being pulled by my grandfather.


Baby in the box almost 60 years later. David took this picture of Audrey placed inside one of the wooden crates that I made.


Addendum August 21, 2014


1992 summer day at Sandbanks.

The Sunday after I posted this photo, I was again thinking about that recorded day and event that once took place. In spite of the many changes that have occurred in our lives since, my father is the only one who is not with us today. 

Twenty-two years passed since this family scene was recorded. I also realized that if twenty more years pass and I am still here, then I shall be 80 years old. This is frightening to contemplate... a sobering reminder that our time here passes astonishingly fast and that we are eventually swept away by time no matter what happens.

One third of my life has passed since this upper photo at Sandbanks was taken.

The following photo was taken at Sandbanks by Kimberly this past weekend.

Summer 2014: Kiera and Jonah with their cousin Marshall at Sandbanks.

"For all our days pass away under thy wrath, our year come to an end like a sigh. The years of our life are threescore and ten, or even by reason of strength fourscore; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone and we flay away."
(Psalm 90:9-10)





No comments:

Post a Comment