Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Story Behind the Story




That April 28, 1967, morning, I was a Montreal Gazette paper boy, and I had to borrow a friend's wagon to deliver this edition, the only time I had to use a wagon in the three years I delivered newspapers.

If I recall correctly, my father who was a Montreal Gazette employee, said 152 pages was the largest edition ever printed.

Expo 67 was a world event and the focal showcase of Canada's 100th birthday. More than fifty million people visited Expo 67 in those six months it was open. That was 2 1/2 times Canada's population at the time.

See that box in the top left corner?

That was the score for game 4 of the Stanley Cup play-offs that year - the Toronto Maple Leafs went on to win the next two games and win the Stanley Cup. That was also the last time the Leafs won the cup... which of course is still mentioned every hockey season.



The Oddblock Station Agent






No comments:

Post a Comment