Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Truth Lies Somewhere in the Middle

Does the truth really lie somewhere in the middle?


I’ve never been sure, but when people have said, 'The truth lies somewhere in the middle' I have often wondered, "In the middle of what?"

When sitting down to write and in trying to recall events from many years ago, only now do I realize that my memory has faded. Those unforgettable vivid details that I never thought I could forget have become fuzzy and flawed.

Whether or not our perceptions are accurate or complete, they are unavoidably, even if unwittingly, prejudiced by our biases. What I think may once have been, may in fact not have been as I think it was.

Consider that indistinguishable might have been, or that fading wish it was. These two subtle embellishment prompts are the fine art of padding fact with fiction and then ending up with something altered and possibly entirely different. Perhaps the end result is with thirty percent fact, thirty percent fiction and the remaining forty percent resting scattered somewhere in that gray area of in between. 

Hence, only now do I realize later that the truth may actually lie somewhere in the middle, or might no longer be there at all.
 
Two or more half-truths never make the truth

Jesus said, "...For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice."

Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"

Jesus gave the answer before Pilate asked the question.


The Oddblock Station Agent



No comments:

Post a Comment