Friday, February 1, 2013

Some Days...


Some days start out like this and then they just go downhill.

Have you ever had days like these? 


The date written on the back of the photo was May 14, 1956. Yes, that was me making the fuss. Almost forty-one years later not much had changed and I was still making a fuss about some things in life.


“So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; this is the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 7:12)

Easy to say and easy to write, easy to memorize and later recite but…so very difficult to live and do.

This evening I did not even have a chance to finish writing the date on the on the page when the person in the car parked next to me knocked the side of my car with the door of her car. Not just once but several times. Worse, there was no apology or even so much as an acknowledgement than an offence had been done. That person displayed a complete lack of consideration for others and, in this case, others meant me. Yes, I am annoyed!

I am extremely annoyed by all the petty meanness that people are showing toward each other these days. God knows my anger at what I see. God also knows that I just want to give up and give in. I am too weary of trying to be kind and considerate to others; not that I am to any great extent. Doing good things for people is a sure way to get stepped upon and spat upon. Some days I can only throw my hands in the air and wonder, “What is the use of trying anymore?”

What was it really like in Jesus’s time? We know from the Bible that times were violent. We also know that people went hungry and begged. Again we also know that people were rich and poor. Human nature has not changed since then but knowing all this does not make the pains of life and living any easier to bear.

Why is it that people who know they are dying want so much to live and hope for tomorrow? Is it because those of us living in the ignorant bliss of self-denial of our own mortality have not truly found anything truly worth living for and, therefore worth dying for?

Yes, we can easily say, perhaps too easily say that we are Christians, and we can just as easily say that we will follow Jesus, but will we just as easily say the same when real difficulties in life come along? Will we truly trust in God when our worlds and lives start to fall apart? Some days come when I do not know the answers.

The Bible informs us that sin is the cause of every evil that we have to deal with in the world. Some days I wonder if God can truly heal this broken world and all the broken lives and all the broken souls within it. Forgiveness and restoration are, I conclude, what the message of Christ Jesus the Lord would ask us to believe. Some days I ask how we can find the faith to truly believe.

Our lives have to reflect what we truly believe but there are some days when I do not know what I am reflecting, if anything at all.

Lord Jesus, forgive me for these days and my lack of faith.


(Written February 06, 1997)
The Oddblock Station Agent


Addendum May 24, 2014


58 years later and not much has changed; only the players.

No comments:

Post a Comment