Monday, April 30, 2012

Teach Us to Number Our Days

Mile Board 52.60



Looking at old black and white photos from the past awakens and stirs up long buried memories. I do not always wish to visit and reopen these cobwebbed corners in my history of days lived, but mixed emotions drag me there nonetheless. 

Decades have passed since scenes of events from long ago were recorded. Anyway, when those memories of years ago surface, I am compelled to wade through a mire of faded recollections of places I can never return to, people I shall never see again, and events that I am unable to live through once more. 

As I yearn for some of those precious moments that are lost in the years gone, I try to sort out what I truly miss most. In the end I believe I miss the whole because the individual parts do not really stand alone. 

The passing of time is relentless and change never stops. No route back exists and second chances are utterly impossible. Today is all that I have left because tomorrow is only an assumption

The Bible reminds me, “The years of our life are threescore and ten, or even by reason of strength, fourscore; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone and we fly away. Who considers the power of thy anger, and thy wrath according to the fear of thee? So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:10-12) 

Lord, teach me to number my days that I too may get a heart of wisdom.

The Oddblock Station Agent
July 28, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment