“And God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament and separated the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament. And it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.”
(Genesis 1:6-8)
Right here in the beginning of the Bible we are told God separated the waters this way, above and under, and Heaven is in the midst of the waters separated above and under.
One doesn’t usually think of water being separated above and under, at least I don’t.
Here on earth where we dwell, one sees that water seeks the lowest level, and perceives the water to separate sideways, although in seeking the lowest level, water separates only downward.
Our understanding of water is limited by the physical constraints of this world we live on. We see lakes as flat, and we see oceans as flat. Nonetheless both have an imperceptible curved surface, because of the shape of the earth and it’s gravitational pull.
“Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!”
(Psalm 148:7-8)
The last five Psalms in the Bible begin with, “Praise the Lord!” and here in Psalm 148 we read the words of the Psalmist calling upon the waters above the heavens to praise God.
Early this morning Kie and I were awakened by loud thunder and bright flashes of lightning, and then came the sounds of rain hitting against the window. Still feeling half asleep, I thanked God for sending the rain, because yesterday I saw how dry the grass looked, and noticed leaves of the tiger lilies turning brown from need of water.
This same morning and out of bed several hours later, I read, “Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving; make melody to our God upon the lyre! He covers the heavens with clouds, he prepares rain for the earth, he makes grass grow upon the hills.” (Psalm 147:7-8)
And then I realize my lack of perception, blindness really, because here on earth the waters are separated, above in the clouds, and under upon the earth.
Praise the Lord!
The Oddblock Station Agent
July 21, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment